Information for Parents
A parent made a list of all the things she wished someone would have told her as a new parent to Mulberry. We thought her list might be useful to others, so we have prepared this brief outline. We hope it helps.
Don’t ever hesitate to call Mulberry to ask a question (263-8143). Mrs. Sears, secretary, and Mrs. Goodman, principal, are always happy to help. Also, our website (begin at www.muscatine.k12.ia.us) has a lot of useful information.
- Parents should drop off and pick up students at the church. Please park at the church before and after school. Parking in the bus lane in front of the school is available between 8:25 and 2:30. Thank you!
- The building is locked during the day so you need to enter through the front door and buzz the office. Always check in at the office as soon as you enter the building.
- Before and After School Procedures
- Doors open at 7:30 and breakfast begins at 7:40. Drop your child off at the First Baptist Church anytime between 7:30 and 8:10. They will walk up the sidewalk, enter through the east doors and sit in the gym in an area designated for their class. Teachers pick students up from the gym at 8:00 and the tardy bell rings at 8:10.
- The dismissal bell rings at 3:05. Students who walk home and need to cross Mulberry Avenue are escorted across the street by an adult. Children who are picked up sit in the hall by the church. Parents are to park cars in the church parking lot and walk up the sidewalk to the east door. Under no circumstances will we allow children to run to vehicles that are parked. Once children are released to a parent/guardian, the child’s safety is the parent responsibility. This procedure will be followed every day regardless of weather conditions Bussed students wait in the gym in areas designated for the various buses. They are dismissed when all the buses arrive. THERE IS NO PARKING IN THE FRONT OF THE BUILDING BEFORE SCHOOL OR AT DISMISSAL TIME. THIS AREA IS RESERVED FOR THE BUSES. FOR THE CHILDREN’S SAFETY AS THEY ENTER AND EXIT THE BUSSES, WE CANNOT ALLOW PARKING. ALSO, DUE TO CONSTRUCTION SCHEDULED THROUGH DECEMBER, THERE ARE NO PARKING SPACES TO THE WEST OF THE BUILDING.
- Lunch and Snacks
- A menu is posted on the district website monthly and a weekly menu is published in the Muscatine Journal every Saturday. Students may also bring their lunch and may purchase milk if desired. Noon recess is followed by lunch. You are welcome to come and eat lunch with your child. Please call the office before 9:00 a.m. to let us know so that we order enough meals. Please sign in and get a visitor’s sticker and pay for your lunch in the office. The correct change would be greatly appreciated.
- Snacks are a part of the daily routine. You will receive a list from the teacher about which day your child is to bring snacks. Also, teachers appreciate easy-to-serve and healthy snacks. Milk is also served with each snack. There is a small cost associated with this milk. All students, even those on free or reduced lunches, will be charged for this milk. If this is a concern, please contact Mrs. Goodman
- All classes have two recesses a day except kindergarten which has three recesses. All students will go outside unless it is raining or the temperature is below 10 degrees with the wind chill. Please send boots, snow pants, gloves, hats and coats during the winter. Please label all items clearly.
- Meetings are held in September, November, January, March and May. The dates will be published in the newsletters. It is a valuable part of the school, and your participation helps! PTO sponsors assemblies, field trips, and purchases extra classroom supplies. We ask that you help by participating in the fundraisers.
- We collect a variety of items: printer ink cartridges, Campbell soup labels, Tyson A+ and Box Tops for Education are all easy ways to help your school. Send them in with your child.
- If you shop online, start at one of the following sites and Mulberry will receive a rebate.
- Schoolcash.com cashforschool.com
Target – Use their credit card and we will receive a percentage of your purchases.
- Mrs. Goodman will send a newsletter on the first of each month. You have the option of having a hard copy sent home with your child or receiving it by email. We are also happy to send it by email to grandparents, business address – whatever is convenient for you. Newsletters list upcoming events and general school information. Be sure to read it! Classroom teachers will send a monthly newsletter as well.
The most important part is to be involved. An education is the most important thing you can give your child. For those who can’t volunteer during the day, we have lots of other special projects. Be sure to let the PTO, the office, and your child’s teacher know that you would like to help.