Welcome to Muscatine Schools! Your child is entering a school district that prides itself on its mission to “ensure excellence in education for every student.” We thank you for your interest in our district and look forward to working with your student and your family. Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the new student enrollment process below. Also listed below are links that you may find helpful as a new parent in our school community.
Student Registration Dates and Locations for the 2016-17 School Year
July 11, 2016 – E-registration opens for returning families (online) and new families. New families will register at their home school.
E-Registration Information and Instructions
July 11, 2016 through the start of school (August 23, 2016) – All new families to the district (all grades, all buildings) or those requiring help with e-registration can register at their home school*. Please call the building for times staff are available. (All families will complete the registration process via computer.)
August 1, 2016 – If you are unable to complete e-registration before this date (either on your own or at your home school), you can attend the district-wide registration at Muscatine High School, 2705 Cedar Street from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. The only reasons a parent should have to come on August 1st to e-register are:
- If you are unable to e-register at home.
- If you cannot go to your home school to register.
- If you need help e-registering your student.
*Don’t know which attendance area you reside in? Visit the district’s School Boundary Look Up Tool. Type in the address of your child. If the address does not show an attendance center, call the Transportation Department at 563-263-7288. They will be able to help you.
*What if I want my child to attend a different school than the attendance center in which we reside?
You will need to apply for a Voluntary Transfer. Approval is based on enrollment at that particular attendance center. You may still register your student; however, the student will be temporarily placed in the attendance center in which you reside until approval of the transfer is received from the district office.
*What if I live in a different school district (Wilton, L&M, etc.) but want my child to attend Muscatine Schools? You will need to apply for an Open Enrollment. You will NOT be able to enroll/register your student until the Open Enrollment is approved by the approving district.
For New Families: What to Bring to Register Your Child
- Name of previous school, city, and state (the secretary will fax a request for student records to your child’s previous school).
- Birth Certificate (for kindergarten only).
- Immunization Record.
- Parent(s)/Guardian(s) Information:
- Preferred Phone Number
- Email Address
- Place of Employment
- Employer’s Phone Number
- Emergency Contact(s) Information:
- Phone Number
- Relationship to student
- Medical considerations and Medicines that need to be noted.
- Please visit our district Health Services page for additional information on screenings and immunizations required by the State of Iowa
- If your student has a chronic health condition (i.e. seizures, allergies, asthma, etc.) there are additional forms available on our Health Services page.
- Doctor and Dentist Name/Phone Number (if known).
- Court documents with information regarding the custody of the student or if student is mentioned in a protection order (if necessary).
New Student Registration Process
- Fill out the New Student Enrollment Form (English / Spanish). You may print this out and bring it with you or fill it out when you come to register your child at your home school.
- Complete the Home Language Survey appropriate the language you speak at home.
- Give these forms to the secretary/principal.
- You will then receive an Access ID and Access Password for each of your students in PowerSchool. (PowerSchool is a web-based student information system that gives you access to information about your child’s assignments, grades, and attendance, and is used to register your students on a yearly basis.)
- You will create your PowerSchool account, and enter the Access ID and Access Password that you received for each of your students.
- The registration process will be completed using your new PowerSchool account.
- Note: The online fee system will not be available until 30 minutes after the PowerSchool account is created.
Helpful Links to Check Out and/or Bookmark!
General Student Fee Structure
School Supply Lists (for elementary)
Free/Reduced Fee Application (available August 1, 2016 for the 2016-17 school year) Scroll to the bottom of the Food & Nutrition webpage for the application.
PowerSchool – keep informed of your child’s academic progress and attendance.
School Calendar – Check here for event dates for individual buildings and the district OR you can subscribe to individual school calendars and dates will automatically appear on your own calendar (Google)!
Virtual Backpack – subscribe through the Stay Informed page so you don’t miss any flyers about programs/events of interest for your student from our local non-profits (The Community Y, Musser Library, Youth Sports, etc.).
Stay Informed – this is a great way to “stay informed” about school events through email notification. You can subscribe to one or more schools or district-wide to receive all school notifications.
School Closings, Delays, and Alerts – information on how to receive alerts about school closings and delays.
District Social Media Links – Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest – these are another great way to stay informed about district news and events!