How to Become a Board Member
Board of Education
Key Dates (2023 Election)
- May 18: Candidate Packets Available at 2900 Mulberry Ave. Muscatine
- Aug. 28: Candidate filing begins.
- Sept. 21: Candidate filing deadline is 5 p.m.
- Sept. 22: Board secretaries deliver nomination papers to the controlling commissioner. The deadline is noon.
- Sept. 26: Candidate withdrawal deadline by 5 p.m. (last day for candidates to withdraw by filing a written request with the school secretary).
- Nov. 7: School election day. Polls are open from 7 a.m.–8 p.m.
- Nov. 14: Tier 1 canvass of votes for all school districts located in one county.
- Nov. 20: Organizational Meeting of the new Muscatine School’s Board of Directors at City Hall in Council Chambers at 7:00 p.m.
Required Nomination Papers
State of Iowa – Affidavit of Candidacy
Each candidate must complete and file an Affidavit of Candidacy. (See page 3 of the Candidate’s Guide to the School Election (PDF) for details on completing this section.) This form requires a notary. If you cannot secure a notary, Muscatine School’s Board Secretary can notarize the affidavit for you. Identification will be required.
State of Iowa Nomination Petition for Non-Partisan Office
Fifty (50) signatures are required of Muscatine School District residents. Be certain to read the requirements of this form on page 5 of the Candidate’s Guide to the School Election (PDF). Petitions that are turned in with inaccurate or incomplete information in the header of each petition will be disqualified by the board secretary.
No writing is allowed on the back of the form.
It is highly recommended that candidates obtain more than 50 signatures to ensure eligibility requirements.
Guides and Useful Information
Iowa Board of Ethics and Campaign Disclosure Resources
Visit the Iowa Ethics and Campaign Disclosure Board for information on topics including:
- Political advertising disclaimers
- Permitted and prohibited corporate activity
- Independent expenditures/in-kind contributions
- Duties of a committee treasurer
- Civil penalties
- Out-of-state contributions
- Prohibition in use of public funds for political purposes
- Guidelines for campaign fundraising
For questions regarding the upcoming election and guidance with forms, contact:
Muscatine School Board Secretary
Muscatine County Auditor Office
Iowa Secretary of State