** Daily News & Information ** Home of the Muskies! 2022-23 MHS Bell Schedules
MHS Hours: 7:45AM-4PM Monday-Friday
MHS Phone #: 563-263-6141
MHS phone system and menu. Please listen to the menu to select the proper department. For Spanish assistance please press 5.
- Press 1 – Attendance (or call directly at 563-263-6616)
- Press 2 – Student Services, Transcripts and Grade Level Counselors
- Press 3 – MHS Nurse
- Press 4 – Athletics
- Press 5 – Spanish Assistance
- For all other calls, please stay on the line or press 0 for assistance or to leave a voicemail.
Announcements in Green – New
Announcements in Blue – Previous Day
Announcements in Black – 2 Days or older by request
- REMINDER: Homecoming Guest Forms: Administration has approved allowing guests to the Homecoming Dance. Please pick up a Guest Form in the Asst. Principal’s office – Mrs. Chatfield.
Forms are due Monday, Sept. 19th.
- REMINDER: Homecoming Dance Tickets go on sale, Monday, Sept. 19 in front of Student Services. Tickets are $10 each. Dance is on Saturday, Oct. 1 from 8-11PM in the MHS Gym.
- REMINDER: Juniors & Seniors: This year, MHS Upper-Classmen student drivers will have the opportunity to paint/personalize a parking space on campus within “Upper-Classmen Row!”
The paint/personalized parking spaces will be $35 and the parking spot will be theirs during school hours. The parking spots are limited to Seniors and Juniors only and on a first come, first service basis (with Seniors taking precedence) and can be reserved in either the Bonnie Street or Cedar Street Parking Lots. Checks can be made out to Muscatine High School.
Painting party will be on Sat., Sept. 24 from 9AM-2PM. If interested, please pick up a packet at the Attendance Center for more information. Completed form must be returned to the Attendance Center by Sept. 16th.
- NO SCHOOL – Friday, Sept.16
- See Activities/Athletics section for scheduled activities, club meetings, etc.
- See Homecoming Activities for all information pertaining to Homecoming 2022!
- Silver Cord Opportunities: For all Silver Cord Opportunities see the Silver Cord section below!
- Silver Cord Opportunity: Musser Public Library – Five trustworthy teens are needed to provide child care at the library while families are in a meeting. The responsibilities would be:
- Reading stories to young children
- Facilitating imaginative play
- Play games with kids
- Helping children navigate computer games.
These class sessions would be once a month from October through April. Hours needed would be from 5:45-7:30 PM rounded up to 2 silver cord hours. Dates needed: Oct. 10, Nov. 14, Dec. 12, Jan. 9, Feb. 13, Mar. 27 , Apr. 17
If interested, please contact Mr. Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org or (563) 263-3065 ext 128.
- Parents, Guardians, Community – Daily Announcements: If you would like to receive Daily Announcements, please subscribe to the MHS Parent Square subscription group:
MHS Daily Announcements Subscription Link
- Pride Club will have an after school hang out in Cromer’s room, 21-024, on Monday, September 19, from 3:30-5:30. Bring snacks to share if you can, and make sure you have a way home at 5:30pm. Hope to see you there!
- Muskie Minutes is back with our 3rd Season! Our Crew is working hard to bring you weekly news, information, and fun. Look for a new episode every Monday! (Links are in the announcements.)
Here’s this week’s episode: Muskie Minutes Season 3 Episode 1 – 9/12/22
In addition to watching our show every week, we’d like to give all Muskies the chance to be featured on an episode of Muskie Minutes! Complete the Google form below if you would like to appear on Muskie Minutes or if you have a great idea or event that you’d like us to feature. Muskie Minutes Volunteer/Idea Form
Each week, we will be featuring students who are celebrating a birthday! If you would like to celebrate your birthday with Muskie Minutes, complete this Google form: Muskie Minutes Birthday Celebration
Finally, we’ve had several inquiries about our Muskie Minutes t-shirts. Be on the lookout for another chance to order soon.
- Picture Makeup Date: October 18, 2022: If you missed picture day yesterday, the makeup date is October 18. Student pictures from Picture Day can be ordered online at mylifetouch.com with the Student’s ID # or Picture Day ID: EVTVQKHWM
- The Baseball Team will have Pitcher/Catcher practice for grades 9-12 on Sunday evenings at 6:00 pm as well as Tuesdays and Thursdays at 4:00 pm at Tom Bruner Field. All potential pitchers and catchers are encouraged to attend. If you are participating in a Fall sport, please attend when you can. Any questions, please email Coach Zumsande at email@example.com
- Just a reminder that you may order sub sandwiches & chef salads online using the link below. We do ask that you place your order by 9:30 am, each day. During your meal session, you may look for the pre-order sign near the front of the sub line, follow the arrows & tell the team member your last name. Students will be given their sandwich or salad on a tray so that they may select at least 1 fruit or vegetable from the black salad bar & go to the cashier.
Sub Sandwich & Chef Salad Order Form (The form is only available for MHS students and MHS staff to fill out.)
- If you do not place your order by 9:30 am, we will still make subs or salads for you, but you will have to wait in line.
- Geneva Golf and Country Club is looking for seasonal bag staff for this Fall! This is a great team atmosphere to work in! Perfect for a high school or college student! Geneva Job Description and Duties
If interested, please apply by reaching out to Matt Dail at 815-441-8989, emailing Matt at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com, or by calling Geneva Golf and Country Club at 563-263-8942!
- Parking Tags – Staff & Students: If you drive to school, you must display your MHS parking tag in your vehicle. If you do not have a tag, please go to Student Services for a form. Currently you are receiving a reminder, however in the future, you will be fined $5 and an orange sticker will be placed on your vehicle.
- Parking Tag Reminder: Reminder that students are to use the same parking tag from the previous year. It will be a $5 charge for all lost parking tags. If you have not received a parking tag or have not registered your vehicle, please fill out the “new vehicle registration form” located under the forms section of the announcements. Forms can be turned into Mrs. Meineke or Mrs. Meeker in the student services. Vehicle Registration Form.pdf
- Yearbook Pick-up: Students/families who purchased a Yearbook (The Auroran) from the 2021-22 school year, Yearbooks will be available for pick up at the Attendance Center. There are a limited number of 2021-22 yearbooks that can be purchased on a first-come, first serve basis for $56 at the Attendance Center.
- Student Lockers: All students will have a locker assigned to them. Students will need to log into Powerschool (not on the app), select Reports then 2022-23 Locker Report and it will give them their locker # and locker combination.
- 2022-23 Bell Schedules: 2022-23 MHS Bell Schedules
- Entrance Doors: Doors open at 7:45AM. Bus riders and students being dropped off, please enter through the Commons entrance. Students driving and parking in the Cedar Street Parking Lot, please enter through the “Muskie M” doors. Students driving and parking in the Bonnie Street Parking Lot, enter through the “Gymnasium / Swim Entrance #1” doors. If arriving after 8:15AM, please enter through the Main Entrance.
- MCSD 2022-23 Meal Program: USDA did not extend free meals to schools this year unless your
Family qualifies by completing a meal application or through state programs through DHS. Please note that only one Iowa Eligibility Application for free or reduced meals needs to be completed per household, each school year. This year the Application is available online on July 15, 2022.
To apply electronically: please go to www.muscatine.k12.ia.us (hover over Department & Programs, click on Food & Nutrition & scroll down on the page) Full communication: 2022-23 MCSD Meal Program Letter
- Driver’s Ed: To register for upcoming Driver’s Ed sessions, please visit: mbaea.org/student-programs/driver-education
- Parents: SMS Text Opt In Feature for School Messenger: SMS_Text Opt-In Flyer/Instructions
- MHS Parents & Students: The Powerschool Mobile App is a great resource to have! Mobile App Instructions
- Google Classroom: All high school staff use Google Classroom to display assigned work. If your child is missing from school, they can always access their work via Google Classroom. As a parent/guardian, you can request your student’s teachers to add you to their assignment list so that you will have “View Only” access.
** Homecoming Week Information **
- 2022 Homecoming Court: For those of you who did not have the opportunity to watch the live stream during Muskie Time, here is the link to watch the recording: https://youtu.be/uMRHujpsXKg
A BIG thank you to those who viewed the live stream! All students grades 9-12 will be able to vote for their female and male homecoming king and queen. Be on the lookout for the voting form!
- Homecoming Flowers: Homecoming is on the horizon with the festivities to take place during the week of September 26-October 1st. The expense of this type of event can be overwhelming–clothing, shoes, makeup and hair, dinner, ticket, etc…Corsages and boutonnieres help to complete the look but can be an added expense that some choose to forgo. Being a parent, I to try to save money where possible. For several years I have created flowers for both Homecoming and Prom at reduced rates for our students. I am once again offering my help and only charging for the necessary supplies.—I do not make money from this service. I enjoy creating one of a kind flowers and take pride in unique touches to create a special Homecoming style all while saving money along the way.
If you are interested in flowers, I have a facebook page, Affordable Flowers for Hoco and Prom, where you can look at pictures of past work. All flowers are color matched and one of a kind.
If you are interested you can inbox/message me thru the facebook page, or send an email to Marci Christiansen at: firstname.lastname@example.org and we can discuss.
Orders should be placed by Thursday September 29th to allow enough time to gather the needed supplies.
- FREE Homecoming Dresses: Check out the selection of Homecoming dresses by the Auditorium during lunch periods. If you would like to make an appointment before or after school, please contact
Mrs. Borde in the Main Office. 2022 Homecoming Dress Shop
- Homecoming Guest Forms: Administration has approved allowing guests to the Homecoming Dance. Please pick up a Guest Form in the Asst. Principal’s office – Mrs. Chatfield. Forms are due by Monday, Sept. 19th.
- Homecoming Week: Monday, September 26th – Saturday, October 1st
- Monday, September 26th: Jersey vs. Jersey Shore
- PowderPuff Football Game: Start time is 7:00 pm at the Muscatine High School stadium with a $5 entry fee. Proceeds will go towards decorating for homecoming and Student Council.
- Tuesday, September 27th: Tacky Tourist
- Wednesday, September 28th: Decades Day
- Freshmen: 2000s
- Sophomores: 1990s
- Juniors: 1980s
- Seniors: 1970s
- Teachers/Staff: 1960s
- Coronation Luncheon: 11:00am – this will be for members of homecoming court and their families only. It will take place at Geneva Country Club.
- Thursday, September 29th: Dress like a Dad Day
- Homecoming Parade: Will begin at 6:00 pm. Projected end time is 6:30pm. Will start at Grant Elementary school. People who are expected to be in the parade should be there by 5:30pm.
- Homecoming Coronation: 7:00pm. This will take place outside at the stadium (pending weather). Mr. Hogenson will let us know within 48 hours of the event if it needs to be moved inside due to weather.
- Friday, September 30th: Muskie Mania (Spirit Day)
- Senior Wall 10:01-10:36am – with the handprints – will take place during Muskie Time. If the students have signed up and have an approved form for Senior March, they will then head into the auditorium where attendance will be taken before the students leave. If they are not excused for Senior March, they will need to return to their classrooms.
- Senior March: 10:45 am – roughly 12:30 pm Students will meet in the auditorium if they have been excused for Senior March. Senior March forms will be attached below. Students will walk down Cedar Street to Pearl City Station on the riverfront where Subway will be served by student council students: sandwich, chips, and cookies.
- Senior March Forms will also be available at the Attendance Center. Senior March 2022 Form
- Saturday, October 1st: Homecoming Dance (Purple+Gold Decorations)
- Tickets will be $10
- Tickets will be sold the week leading up to homecoming (September 19th – September 23rd)
- Administration is still deciding if out-of-town guests will be allowed to attend
- MHS Main Gymnasium
- Monday, September 26th: Jersey vs. Jersey Shore
- MHS Homecoming Parade Invite – Businesses, Schools, Clubs, and Activities of Muscatine: As you probably know, in just a few short weeks homecoming week will be here and that means we need your help in getting ready for the week-long days of spirit and pep! This year’s homecoming theme is “Muskie Mania”. Student Council members and advisors are asking if you want to take part in this fun week of the school year by building a float for the parade, which will take place on September 29th @ 6 pm (lineup @ 5:15 pm). This is a time to promote your business, your elementary or middle school, or the club you represent. If you are interested in taking part, please fill out the parade form via the link by Friday, September 12th @ 4:00 pm.
2022 Homecoming Parade Sign-Up
Muscatine High School hopes to see you in the homecoming parade this year going all out with “Muskie Mania” Make it a great week! Makenna Kopf – Muscatine High School Student Council
- Homecoming Week is Sept. 26. Theme is “Muskie Mania”. Homecoming Dance is on Oct. 1.
** Athletics/Activities Information **
- MHS Martial Arts Club: This club will help build a students confidence / Family and Friend structure and bond / help to become more humble, mature, and respectful as well as mental health benefits along with the Art and skills of Martial Arts. Interested students should email: email@example.com
- Join a Youth Bowling League! Youth Bowling League Information
- Visit MHS Official Activities Site for updates to schedules, rosters & directions.
- Follow @MuskieActivitie on Twitter for MHS activities & athletic updates and information.
- Athletic Punch Pass/Card for adults are $40 and can be purchased at the MHS Attendance Center or at the gate during events. This Punch Card allows you 10 admissions into all sporting events except regional & state competitions, most vocal, orchestra, and band events, and the fall drama production.
- Student Activity Passes are available for sale at the Attendance Center for $50. This pass allows you admission into all sporting events except regional & state competitions, most vocal, orchestra, and band events, and the fall drama production.
- Visit MHS Official Activities Site for updates to schedules, rosters & directions.
- Athletic Forms: Parent Permission Form Concussion Form Physical Form
** Career Days/Camps/College/Military Visits **
- Please check back later for Career opportunities!
** Forms **
- Transcripts: To request an official transcript from Muscatine High School, please use the link below to make your request. Official transcripts are sent directly from our MHS Registrar’s Office. Muscatine High School Transcript Request Link
- Silver Cord Form: Students recording hours of volunteer service during their years at MHS will be awarded a Silver Cord to wear at graduation. In order for volunteer hours to count towards a Silver Cord, STUDENTS must complete the online form to verify. Silver Cord Form
- ALL STUDENTS DRIVING TO SCHOOL: ALL students driving to school will need to complete a Vehicle Registration Form for a new MHS Parking Tag. This parking tag will be used for until the Class of 2025 graduates. The form is available online Vehicle Registration Form, MHS Attendance or Student Services office. Completed forms should be returned to the Student Services office. Students with a new MHS Parking can park in the Bonnie Dr. or Cedar St. parking lots.
- DOT Minor School License Form: DOT Minor School License Form Forms are available in the MHS Main Office – Rm-11-001. (You must have completed Driver’s Ed in order to submit this form.) Instructions: Please complete Sections 1 and 3. (Leave Section 2 blank) and return to the Main Office.
** Fundraisers **
- Muskie Store is Open! The district has partnered with Phelps Custom Apparel to offer our staff, families, and community Muskie Apparel! This online store does not close meaning that it remains open for all of your Muskie clothing needs throughout the year.
Go to: Phelps Muskie Store and check it out!
- Jostens Muskie School Store: Do you want Muskie Spirit Wear/Accessories or to give as a gift?
Visit Jostens Muskie School Store
** Scholarships **
- Please visit Scholarships for a list of available scholarships. (newest scholarships are listed at the end of the document)
** Silver Cord Opportunities/Volunteer Opportunities **
- Silver Cord Opportunity: MHS Student Volunteers are requested to help with the Calderon Family Benefit next Thursday, Sept. 15th from 4-7pm at Franklin Elementary. Setup will begin at Franklin at approximately 1:30 pm, with the benefit starting at 4:00 pm. There will be games, food, silent auction of baskets, a bake sale, bouncy houses, a dunk tank and more! Volunteers are needed to help with games, the bouncy house, a dunk tank, serving food, and other duties, including tear down and clean-up This is a great way to earn a few silver cord hours, while showing support for members of our Muskie Family. To volunteer, please email Mr. Spies or Mrs. Hopkins at Franklin Elementary. firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Julie Calderon Benefit Flyer English Julie Calderon Benefit Flyer Spanish
- Silver Cord Opportunity: Riding For Success Volunteer Drive – The Riding For Success Therapeutic Riding Program is looking for volunteers to help with lessons this Fall. We are in need of side-walkers, horse-leaders, chores, exercising horses on off days… Must be 14 yrs +. No horse experience necessary for some roles. We will be hosting Volunteer Training Tuesday, September 13th from 5:30 – 6:30pm at the Muscatine Ag Learning Center. No worries if you can’t make it. We’ll do hands-on-training at lesson start-up! Fall session runs October 3rd – November 17th. Please see attached flyer for more details. To sign-up or if you have questions, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org Riding for Success Flyer
- Stinky’s House of Horrors is looking for volunteers with yard work which includes raking, picking up sticks and obstacles in the yard. Troy “Stinky” Philpott may also need assistance with building props, etc..but specific work will be detailed as it is closer to Halloween. The MHS students will not be acting in the Haunt, just doing necessary work to prepare. Those interested may sign up with Stinky by emailing email@example.com or messaging on FaceBook.
- The Greater Muscatine Chamber of Commerce & Industry is seeking volunteers to help at the information booth and with cleanup at the Pearl City Vintage Market on Saturday, October 8th on the Muscatine Riverfront. The hours needed are from 10:00am – 3:00pm and shift times can be adjusted based on availability. Please contact GMCCI’s Director of Marketing & Events Dena Ferreira by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 563-263-8895.
- Silver Cord Program: Students recording hours of volunteer service during their years at MHS will be awarded a Silver Cord to wear at graduation. In order for volunteer hours to count towards a Silver Cord, students must complete the online form to verify. Silver Cord Form
Service qualifies for Silver Cord recognition if:
- The student is not paid for the service
The student does not receive credit for the service.
The service is not for the purpose of fundraising for a group/activity/team that the student participates in.
*140 hours are required for students in the Class of 2021, 2022 and 2023.
*160 hours are required for students graduating in the Class of 2024.
** Yearbook Information **
- 2021-22 Yearbook Distribution Info: Students/families who purchased a Yearbook (The Auroran) from the 2021-22 school year, Yearbooks will be available for pick up at the Attendance Center. There are a limited number of 2021-22 yearbooks that can be purchased on a first-come, first serve basis for $56 at the Attendance Center.
- Did you or someone you know attend Muscatine High School during the 2012 through 2015 school years? If so, this is your chance to purchase a yearbook that reflects those school years and memories! Each yearbook is $20 until sold out. All proceeds go back into the Yearbook Club to purchase new equipment and expand the program for students. To purchase, call the Activities Office at Muscatine High School at (563) 263-6141 and ask for Mindy.
** Keep informed on what is going on at MHS! **
|MHS Facebook Page
|MCSD Student Handbk
|2022-23 Curriculum Guide