** MHS Daily News & Information ** Home of the Muskies! 2022-23 MHS Bell Schedules
MHS Hours: 7:45AM-4PM Monday-Friday
MHS Main Phone #: 563-263-6141
MHS phone system and menu. Please listen to the menu to select the proper department. For Spanish assistance please press 5.
- Press 1 – Attendance (or call directly at 563-263-6616)
- Press 2 – Student Services, Transcripts and Grade Level Counselors
- Press 3 – MHS Nurse
- Press 4 – Athletics
- Press 5 – Spanish Assistance
- For all other calls, please stay on the line or press 0 for assistance or to leave a voicemail.
Announcements in Green – New
Announcements in Blue – Previous Day
Announcements in Black – 2 Days or older by request
** Daily News & Information **
- 11th & 12th Grade Students – Prom Guest Forms: Mrs. Chatfield in the AP Office is taking names of people that want a guest form for Prom. She will write down your name, your guest’s name and what school they are coming from before giving you a form. There is a “disclaimer” on the bottom of the form that says receiving and filling out this form does not imply eligibility. This form will not be available in a digital form — if the student wants to send it to their guest, they may scan their copy (after they have filled out their information) from the library and send it to their guest.
- Forms can be picked up before and after school and also during their lunch segments in the Asst. Principal’s Office w/ Mrs. Chatfield. Forms are due by April 19th.
- Prom is on Saturday, April 229 from 7-10PM at The Merrill Hotel in Muscatine.
- If you are in need of a Prom dress or dress pants, shirt & tie, please arrange an appt. with Mrs. Borde. Prom Clothing Appointment
- 20th Annual All-City Swing Dance: This Saturday, March 25th, make plans to attend the 20th Annual All-City Swing Dance at The Merrill Hotel, Muscatine, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel! Enjoy an evening of jazz music from several of the Muscatine High School Jazz groups and The River City 6! Tickets are just $10 at the door. See you there!
- iJAG Fundraiser at Applebees will be held on Tuesday, March 28 from 11AM-1PM and 4-7PM. A percentage of sales will go to the iJAG student program at MHS. iJAG Applebee’s Fundraiser
- Silver Cord Opportunity: The Grant Extrava”grant”za (aka “Carnival”) is coming up on April 14th and we are looking for some Highschool students that would like to earn some Silver Cord Hours working the carnival games. Volunteer time is from 5:00-7:00PM (be here by 4:45) on April 14 at Grant Elementary. Students interested in volunteering should email Jill Church at email@example.com to sign up.
- Super Smash Brothers Ultimate Club: Bring your own Nintendo Switch controller (or borrow one, we have extras!) and get ready for the Super Smash Brothers Ultimate Club!
Super Smash-Bros. Ultimate Club Sign-Up
- WHERE: Mr. Kennedy’s Classroom, 11-035 (Social Studies Wing
- WHEN: Every Friday starting 3/31 (or last day of the week) during Muskie Time
- MHS Drama Department will proudly present The Drowsy Chaperone – a musical within a comedy – on April 20, 21 & 22 at 7:00 pm and April 22 at 2:00 pm. Tickets will go on sale to the public Tuesday, 3/28/23! All tickets are $9 if purchased online at muscatinehs.booktix.com and are available at the site up to 15 minutes before the event! Tickets at the door will be $12. Please note that we cannot accept any form of passes for this event. Don’t miss this funny, entertaining show! Pick your seats and get your tickets in advance! The Drowsy Chaperone
- Baseball Parent Meeting: For all parents that have a child that has signed up to play HS baseball this summer, there will be an initial parent organizational and informational meeting on
Tuesday, March 28th at 6:00 pm in the High School Commons area. This includes present 8th grade parents as well as the parents of current High School students. At least 1 parent of each baseball player that has signed up to participate this summer is asked to attend. If you have any questions, please contact Coach Nick Zumsande at firstname.lastname@example.org
- iJAG Fundraiser at Applebees will be held on Tuesday, March 28 from 11AM-1PM and 4-7PM.
A percentage of sales will go to the iJAG student program at MHS. iJAG Applebee’s Fundraiser
- MHS Yearbook Sales: $56 Deadline to order is May 1, 2023 Yearbook Order Information
- See Silver Cord section below for all opportunities!
- ACT Testing – April 4, 2023 VanHecke Center (Pre-registration was required.)
- MHS Prom – The Merrill Hotel, April 29, 2023 (7:00-10:00PM)
- MHS CAPE – MHS, April 29-30, 2023 (10:30PM – 2:30AM)
- 11th & 12th Grade Girls & Boys: FREE Prom Dresses & Dress Clothes at The Muskie Boutique! Please complete the form to set up an appointment during lunch or after school. Sizes available are from 0 to 24. If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Borde in the Main Office. Prom Attire Appointment Form (Prom is on April 29, 2023 at The Merrill Hotel – 7:00-10:00PM.)
- NEW SCHOLARSHIPS ADDED! 2022-23 Scholarships: 2022-23 Scholarships. (These scholarships are in addition to MCC & Greater Foundation scholarships!
- Key Club Blood Drive: Any MHS Students or Staff interested in donating blood on Monday, April 3rd 2023 need to sign-up with a Key Club member or email Mrs. Keltner at email@example.com. Walk-ins will NOT be taken for this blood drive – all donors need to have a scheduled time between 8:00am-12:00noon in the Van Hecke Center Gym. Blood Drive Info
- MHS Auroran Today: A Senior Survivor Recap: MHS Auroran
- 2023 Riverbend Tae Kwon Do Invitational – Sat., March 25. See flyer for more info! Riverbend Tae Kwon Do Invitational
- Seniors: We hope you will accept our invitation to participate in Senior Decision Day on Friday, April 28th. Please complete the RSVP google form before April 14th. We look forward to celebrating you and your post secondary decisions!
Senior Decision Day Sign-up Form
- Muskie Minutes Season 3 Episode 22: https://youtu.be/5TqZ46U0Ge8
- MHS Activities March 20-25, 2023: MHS Activities March 20-25, 2023
- Senior Obligations: A list of those who have Senior Obligations is posted outside of the Attendance Office and are listed by Student ID #. All fines/fees need to be paid prior to Friday, May 19, 2023. These need to be paid in order for you to be able to “walk” on Graduation Day.
- Balances can also be checked by having your parent/guardian login to their Parent/Guardian PowerSchool account.
- Once logged in, in the Navigation Bar under the Reports section, selected
“Unpaid Fines/Fees” and a list of any fines/fees that are due will be displayed.
- Payment can be made by selecting the “CLICK HERE to Pay Outstanding Fees/Fines” or by paying with cash, check, or debit/credit card at the Muscatine High School Attendance Office. Payments can also be made in installments as long as full amount is paid by May 19, 2023.
- If assistance is needed with PowerSchool username/password, please have your parent/guardian contact Muscatine High School at 563-263-6141.
Note: The PowerSchool App does not provide fines/fees information.
- Chess Club Is Back! Chess Club will resume meeting once we return from Spring Break. If you’re in good standing in your classes, feel free to sign up on Wednesdays and/or Fridays to come to 15-113 (Mr. Johnson’s classroom) to play a game, learn strategies, and enjoy a short Muskie Time break.
- Students: Silver Cord hours are due April 28th. If you volunteered and have not submitted your hours, use this link: Silver Cord Form
- Key Club is selling memorial bracelets for Kahina Ourkhou. Bracelets are $2 each and all proceeds will be donated to the University of Iowa Children’s Hospital in Kahina’s honor. Purchase bracelets in the MHS library – or by completing this form and having bracelets delivered to students on Friday, March 3rd: https://tinyurl.com/3tshn5kr Kahina Ourkhou Fundraiser Info
- Parents, Guardians, Community – Daily Announcements: If you would like to receive Daily Announcements, please subscribe to the MHS Parent Square subscription group: MHS Daily Announcements Subscription Link
- 2023-24 Curriculum Guide
- Race for the Schools: For more information or to register for the race visit: https://www.muscatine race for the schools.org/
- Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency’s Driver Education Program: To register for upcoming Driver’s Ed sessions, please visit: mbaea.org/student-programs/driver-education
- The 2023 Abdelkader Global Citizenship Prize ESSAY CONTEST is now open! Students attending high school in the United States are invited to expand their global perspectives and compete for scholarship awards.
- Prizes include 1st Place $1,000; 2nd Place $750; 3rd Place $500, plus Honorable Mention prizes.
- From Missouri to Moscow to Mecca during the 1800s, Emir Abdelkader was an Arab Muslim hero from Algeria and admired around the globe. His life story brings lost history into focus along with wisdom and knowledge necessary to build strong bonds of cultural understanding and respect for Muslims and non-Muslims alike.
- For contest details including guidelines and procedures, visit https://abdelkaderproject.org/student-contests/abdelkader-student-prize/. Students will sign-up now then read-research-write the essay and submit it before or on April 1, 2023.
- Parents & Students – Updating Mailing Address & Contact Information: If you have moved or your parent phone number has changed since the beginning of school, please contact MHS to update your contact information.
- MHS Impactful Staff Nomination: Students, the Instructional Team at MHS wants to highlight some of the amazing things that are happening throughout our building, but we need your help. Please consider nominating a teacher (or multiple teachers) for the wonderful things they do inside and outside of the classroom. This can be related to specific lessons they have taught, their teaching style, their ability to build relationships, their involvement in extracurricular activities or anything else you feel is relevant and necessary. These types of shout outs are incredibly rewarding for teachers, so please make their day! Please complete this form if you would like to nominate a staff member!: Staff Nomination Form
- Food Services Info: The “Why the Sub Not?” Sub Sandwich line is now by the gym doors & the Passport & Lunchbox line will be where the sub line was. Thank you & we apologize for any inconvenience!
Just a reminder that you may order sub sandwiches & chef salads online using the link below. We do ask that you place your order by 9:30 am, each day. During your meal session, you may look for the pre-order sign near the front of the sub line, follow the arrows & tell the team member your last name. Students will be given their sandwich or salad on a tray so that they may select at least 1 fruit or vegetable from the black salad bar & go to the cashier. Sub Sandwich & Chef Salad Order Form
If you do not place your order by 9:30 am, we will still make subs or salads for you, but you will have to wait in line.
- MHS Yearbook Sales: $56 Deadline to order is May 1, 2023 Yearbook Order Information
- Student Lockers: All students will have a locker assigned to them. Students will need to log into Powerschool (not on the app), select Reports then 2022-23 Locker Report and it will give them their locker # and locker combination.
- 2022-23 Bell Schedules: 2022-23 MHS Bell Schedules
- Entrance Doors: Doors open at 7:45AM. Bus riders and students being dropped off, please enter through the Commons entrance. Students driving and parking in the Cedar Street Parking Lot, please enter through the “Muskie M” doors. Students driving and parking in the Bonnie Street Parking Lot, enter through the “Gymnasium / Swim Entrance #1” doors. If arriving after 8:15AM, please enter through the Main Entrance.
- MCSD 2022-23 Meal Program: USDA did not extend free meals to schools this year unless your Family qualifies by completing a meal application or through state programs through DHS. Please note that only one Iowa Eligibility Application for free or reduced meals needs to be completed per household, each school year. To apply electronically: please go to www.muscatine.k12.ia.us (hover over Department & Programs, click on Food & Nutrition & scroll down on the page) Full communication:
2022-23 MCSD Meal Program Letter
- Driver’s Ed: To register for upcoming Driver’s Ed sessions, please visit: mbaea.org/student-programs/driver-education
- Parents: SMS Text Opt In Feature for School Messenger: SMS_Text Opt-In Flyer/Instructions
- MHS Parents & Students: The Powerschool Mobile App is a great resource to have! Mobile App Instructions
- Google Classroom: All high school staff use Google Classroom to display assigned work. If your child is missing from school, they can always access their work via Google Classroom. As a parent/guardian, you can request your student’s teachers to add you to their assignment list so that you will have “View Only” access.
** 12th Grade Important Dates/Information **
- 2022-23 Scholarships: 2022-23 Scholarships (Keep checking for newly added scholarships!)
- Graduation Cap & Gown: If you have not purchased your cap and gown. Please stop in to Student Services to see Mrs. Meeker or Mrs. Meineke.
- 11th & 12th Grade Girls: FREE Prom Dresses at The Muskie Boutique! Please complete the form to set up an appointment during lunch or after school. Sizes available are from 0 to 24. If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Borde in the Main Office. Prom Dress Appointment Form. (Prom is on April 29, 2023 at The Merrill Hotel.)
- May 21: Graduation Day – 2PM MHS Stadium (unless inclement weather then MHS Gymnasium)
** Athletics/Activities Information **
- Color Guard Interest: If you are interested in learning more about Color Guard, please complete this form. Information is provided as to what color guard does as well as provide dates for the clinic that will be held after Spring Break. The clinic is an opportunity to test out our equipment and provide you an insight to color guard. You are welcome to come to 1 or all of the 4 clinic dates. If interested, please complete the Color Guard Interest Form
- Seniors – Signing Day 2023: At this time we are planning to do a ‘signing’ recognition for Muskies that are planning to participate in a college sport at any level. Please complete this form to let us know what you are planning. We want to make sure that we do not miss anyone. At this time, the tentative plan is for this recognition on May 10 during Muskie Time. Thank you in advance for completing this form. DEADLINE TO COMPLETE THIS FORM IS APRIL 30.
- Martial Arts: If you are interested in participating in Martial Arts, practice takes place Tuesday through Friday from 3:45-5:00PM in the Van Hecke Center. If you have any questions, please contact Jesse Valenzuela at firstname.lastname@example.org or talk with him in the halls of MHS!
- The Muscatine HS Dance Team – Muskie Poms will hold auditions for the 23-24 season on May 6. Clinic will be the Week of May 1-5. Please fill out the form if interested!
Audition Form Muskie Poms 23-24 (https://forms.gle/6kzB4ZHYHnrFSgLG9)
All information will be emailed to you after you fill out the form. Questions? Email: email@example.com
- MHS CAPE Donation List: Here’s a new way to support CAPE (Carnival After Prom Extravaganza)! Purchase items off the CAPE gift list and they’ll be given away to students during CAPE on April 29th/30th. CAPE Amazon Donation List Info
Amazon Wish List: Amazon Wish List
- FFA Merchandise: If you missed the store for FFA Merchandise- it is now on the school Phelps Site: FFA Merchandise Link
- Visit MHS Official Activities Site for updates to schedules, rosters & directions.
- Follow @MuskieActivitie on Twitter for MHS activities & athletic updates and information.
- Athletic Punch Pass/Card for adults are $40 and can be purchased at the MHS Attendance Center or at the gate during events. This Punch Card allows you 10 admissions into all sporting events except regional & state competitions, most vocal, orchestra, and band events, and the fall drama production.
- Student Activity Passes are available for sale at the Attendance Center for $50. This pass allows you admission into all sporting events except regional & state competitions, most vocal, orchestra, and band events, and the fall drama production.
- Visit MHS Official Activities Site for updates to schedules, rosters & directions.
- Athletic Forms: Parent Permission Form Concussion Form Physical Form
** College, Trade, & Military Visits **
- Air Force Info: If you are interested in Air Force information, please contact TSgt Allison Bell, Air Force & Space Force Recruiter, Moline, IL. Phone: 319-350-8401
- United States Coast Guard – Information for Seniors: We currently have hiring bonuses up to $50,000 for interested individuals, which are detailed in the “Coast Guard Career Hiring Bonuses” attachment. I’ve also attached a Benefits Flyer that goes over what the Coast Guard does as a military branch, and benefits of military service. Please feel free to post this in your school alongside other military branch information for students to look over.
The United States Coast Guard offers both full time and part time service opportunities, and are primarily located within the United States. As a military branch, we conduct humanitarian missions, including response to natural disasters like hurricanes and oil spills, and our branch’s focus is centered around protecting our people and waterways. We operate under the Department of Homeland Security, making our main missions Search and Rescue, Law Enforcement, and Environment Protection. We have 19 different career fields, including Healthcare, HR, Law Enforcement, and Trade careers. If you have an interest for military service or are unsure of steps after graduation, or if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via this email – Lauren.A.Shields@uscg.mil. Coast Guard Benefits Flyer Coast Guard Career Hiring Bonuses
** Forms **
- Transcripts: To request an official transcript from Muscatine High School, please use the link below to make your request. Official transcripts are sent directly from our MHS Registrar’s Office. Muscatine High School Transcript Request Link
- Silver Cord Form: Students recording hours of volunteer service during their years at MHS will be awarded a Silver Cord to wear at graduation. In order for volunteer hours to count towards a Silver Cord, STUDENTS must complete the online form to verify. Silver Cord Form
- ALL STUDENTS DRIVING TO SCHOOL: ALL students driving to school will need to complete a Vehicle Registration Form for a new MHS Parking Tag. This parking tag will be used until the Class of 2025 graduates. The form is available online Vehicle Registration Form, MHS Attendance or Student Services office. Completed forms should be returned to the Student Services office. Students with an MHS Parking Tag can park in the Bonnie Dr. or Cedar St. parking lots.
- DOT Minor School License Form: DOT Minor School License Form Forms are available in the MHS Main Office – Rm-11-001. (You must have completed Driver’s Ed in order to submit this form.) Instructions: Please complete Sections 1 and 3. (Leave Section 2 blank) and return to the Main Office.
- Parking Tags – Staff & Students: If you drive to school, you must display your MHS parking tag in your vehicle. If you do not have a tag, please go to Student Services for a form. Currently you are receiving a reminder, however in the future, you will be fined $5 and an orange sticker will be placed on your vehicle.
- Parking Tag Reminder: Reminder that students are to use the same parking tag from the previous year. It will be a $5 charge for all lost parking tags. If you have not received a parking tag or have not registered your vehicle, please fill out the “new vehicle registration form” located under the forms section of the announcements. Forms can be turned into Mrs. Meineke or Mrs. Meeker in the student services. Vehicle Registration Form.pdf
** Fundraisers **
- Muskie Store is Open! The district has partnered with Phelps Custom Apparel to offer our staff, families, and community Muskie Apparel! This online store does not close meaning that it remains open for all of your Muskie clothing needs throughout the year.
Go to: Phelps Muskie Store and check it out!
- Jostens Muskie School Store: Do you want Muskie Spirit Wear/Accessories or to give as a gift?
Visit Jostens Muskie School Store
** Job Opportunities **
- Part Time Employment at Geneva Country Club: Grounds Crew Members. Starting pay is $10 hr.
We offer flexible scheduling and free golf on Monday’s. We can work with students’ schedules. Students work outside. Job duties include: mowing, weed eating, raking bunkers, divot repair, landscaping flower beds, helping with golf course projects, golf tournament prep, and other duties as needed. If interested, please contact Chad Shafer at (608) 477-8686 Cell or (563)263-1350 Maintenance Facility, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Seasonal Job Opportunities – Louisa County Conservation – 4 summer and 1 6 months: Perfect for summer work for some juniors and/or graduating seniors. These are great positions that provide valuable on-the job skills for those interested in a career in natural resources and/or education!
- Natural Resource Aide – one 6 month position (timing is flexible), must be 18+ because of work with mowers and other machinery
- Conservation Aide – two spring/summer positions (timing is flexible), must be 18+ because of work with mowers and other machinery
- Summer Recreation Intern – two summer positions (Mid – June through 1st week of August), 16+, ***This job is an 8:30 am – 2 pm position that is PERFECT for students in summer sports. The Summer Recreation program happens from 9-noon every day so there is a lot of flexibility for those that want to work but need to get to practice in the afternoon.
Naturalist Intern – one summer position (Mid-End of May through early August) must be 18+ because of driving county vehicles
All job postings and application information can be found here: Louisa County Conservation Jobs
** Scholarships **
- Please visit Scholarships for a list of available scholarships. (newest scholarships are listed at the end of the document)
** Silver Cord Opportunities/Volunteer Opportunities **
Students: Silver Cord hours are due April 28th. If you volunteered and have not submitted your hours, use this link: Silver Cord Form
- Muscatine Community Heart and Soul, a nonprofit focused on discovering what people love about Muscatine through story gathering and community development, is looking for volunteers to be members of their leadership team, collecting stories/performing interviews, and to be members of their subteams. If interested, please complete the volunteer interest form below. Also provided is the Muscatine Community Heart & Soul website link.
- Volunteers are needed for the YMCA Kindergarten-3rd grade soccer season on Saturday mornings, April 15-May 13, 9:00-11:00AM. Other dates are available. Please contact Brandon for more information or questions – 563-263-9996 or email@example.com
- Musser Public Library Teen Advisory Committee. The Library is looking for involved teens to take part in a teen advisory committee. Teens participating in this community leadership program will share ideas for library events, planning programs, community engagement opportunities and open discussions about changing trends of Muscatine youth. Enhance your leadership skills by brainstorming your ideas as a team to benefit your community and the patrons of Musser Public Library. No commitment is required. Come to as many meetings as you would like or as many as your schedule allows. For more information contact Mr. Taylor at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Meetings will take place the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of each month. Starts February 15th, 2023 from 4:30-5:30PM in the Musser Public Library Maker Space.
- Silver Cord Program: Students recording hours of volunteer service during their years at MHS will be awarded a Silver Cord to wear at graduation. In order for volunteer hours to count towards a Silver Cord, students must complete the online form to verify. Silver Cord Form
Service qualifies for Silver Cord recognition if:
- The student is not paid for the service
The student does not receive credit for the service.
The service is not for the purpose of fundraising for a group/activity/team that the student participates in.
*140 hours are required for students in the Class of 2021, 2022 and 2023.
*160 hours are required for students graduating in the Class of 2024.
** Yearbook Information **
- MHS Yearbook Sales: $56 Deadline to order is May 1, 2023 Yearbook Order Information
- 2021-22 Yearbook Distribution Info: Students/families who purchased a Yearbook (The Auroran) from the 2021-22 school year, Yearbooks will be available for pick up at the Attendance Center. There are a limited number of 2021-22 yearbooks that can be purchased on a first-come, first serve basis for $56 at the Attendance Center.
- Did you or someone you know attend Muscatine High School during the 2012 through 2015 school years? If so, this is your chance to purchase a yearbook that reflects those school years and memories! Each yearbook is $20 until sold out. All proceeds go back into the Yearbook Club to purchase new equipment and expand the program for students. To purchase, call the Activities Office at Muscatine High School at (563) 263-6141 and ask for Mindy.
** Keep informed on what is going on at MHS! **
|Facebook:||MHS Facebook Page|
|Student Handbook:||MCSD Student Handbk|
|Curriculum Guide:||2022-23 Curriculum GuideMHS Announcements – March 2, 2023|