** MHS Daily News & Information ** Home of the Muskies! 2022-23 MHS Bell Schedules
MHS Hours: 7:45AM-4PM Monday-Friday
MHS Main Phone #: 563-263-6141
MHS phone system and menu. Please listen to the menu to select the proper department. For Spanish assistance please press 5.
- Press 1 – Attendance (or call directly at 563-263-6616)
- Press 2 – Student Services, Transcripts and Grade Level Counselors
- Press 3 – MHS Nurse
- Press 4 – Athletics
- Press 5 – Spanish Assistance
- For all other calls, please stay on the line or press 0 for assistance or to leave a voicemail.
Announcements in Green – New
Announcements in Blue – Previous Day
Announcements in Black – 2 Days or older by request
- CAPE Meeting: The CAPE Committee is looking for parents to help, especially parents of freshman, sophomores, & juniors. Our next meeting is scheduled for Thursday March 23rd at 5 pm in the STEM room next to the commons/learning stairs. If anyone has questions they can text Karen at 563-506-1668 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spring Sports Athletes: Please make sure that you have ALL Athletic forms on file in the AD Office. Forms must be completed and turned in prior to the first day of practice. If forms are not filed, you will not be able to participate. Forms are located outside of the AD Office in the forms display.
Athletic Forms: Parent Permission Form Concussion Form Physical Form
- LAST DAY TO PURCHASE TALENT SHOW TICKETS! Talent Show Tickets — MHS Key Club will be hosting a Talent Show on Thursday, March 9th from 8:30-10:30am in the auditorium. Tickets need to be purchased in advance and will be sold outside old Student Services before and after School (7:45-8:15am & 3:30-4:00pm) and during both lunches on March 6th-8th for $5 each. Proceeds from the show will be donated to the local charities. Students who attend the show will be excused from class – only students in good standing will be allowed to purchase tickets.
- March 9: 2-Hour Early Dismissal
- March 10: No School – Inservice Day
- March 13-17 – Spring Break – No School
- NEW SCHOLARSHIP ADDED! 2022-23 Scholarships: 2022-23 Scholarships. (These scholarships are in addition to MCC & Greater Foundation scholarships!)
- SENIORS – DUE MARCH 10 AT NOON! Scholarship Season: The local packet can be found on the website for the Community Foundation of Greater Muscatine at https://www.givinggreater.org/ . Our packet is the last packet listed on the dashboard page. If you have questions on how to complete the packet, please see Mrs. Hawkins.
- Girls’ Golf Meeting & Sign-up: There will be a meeting on Wednesday, March 8 at 3:30pm in the Commons. Coach Scott Schultz will be there to talk to any of the girls about the season. Girls’ Golf Sign-up
- Interested in joining the Muskie Minutes Team Next Year? There will be an informational meeting during Muskie Time on Wednesday, March 8 for anyone interested in joining Muskie Minutes next year. Meet in the Muskie Minutes Studio 22-010.
- Chess Club Is Back! Chess Club will resume meeting once we return from Spring Break. If you’re in good standing in your classes, feel free to sign up on Wednesdays and/or Fridays to come to 15-113 (Mr. Johnson’s classroom) to play a game, learn strategies, and enjoy a short Muskie Time break.
- Silver Cord Opportunity: Volunteers are needed for the McKinley Carnival. The carnival is Friday, March 31st from 4:30-7. If interested, please sign up here: McKinley Carnival Volunteer Sign-up
- Muskie Minutes Season 3 Episode 21: https://youtu.be/4GZMV5KyfR0
- Take some time to read the latest edition of the MHS Auroran Today
- Boys’ and Girls’ Soccer Info: Boys’ & Girls’ Soccer Information
- Students: Silver Cord hours are due April 28th. If you volunteered and have not submitted your hours, use this link: Silver Cord Form
- Silver Cord Opportunity: Volunteers are needed for the YMCA Kindergarten-3rd grade soccer season on Saturday mornings, April 15-May 13, 9:00-11:00AM. Other dates are available. Please contact Brandon for more information or questions – 563-263-9996 or email@example.com
- Individual student appointments start this week for scheduling classes for next year with your grade level counselor. If you have not scheduled your 15 minute appointment with your grade level counselor, please use the link from your grade level slide show to make your Calendly appointment. 2023-24 Curriculum Guide. Course Selection Steps
- Color Guard Interest: If you are interested in learning more about Color Guard, please complete this form. Information is provided as to what color guard does as well as provide dates for the clinic that will be held after Spring Break. The clinic is an opportunity to test out our equipment and provide you an insight to color guard. You are welcome to come to 1 or all of the 4 clinic dates. If interested, please complete the Color Guard Interest Form
- Key Club is selling memorial bracelets for Kahina Ourkhou. Bracelets are $2 each and all proceeds will be donated to the University of Iowa Children’s Hospital in Kahina’s honor. Purchase bracelets in the MHS library – or by completing this form and having bracelets delivered to students on Friday, March 3rd: https://tinyurl.com/3tshn5kr Kahina Ourkhou Fundraiser Info
- Parents, Guardians, Community – Daily Announcements: If you would like to receive Daily Announcements, please subscribe to the MHS Parent Square subscription group: MHS Daily Announcements Subscription Link
- 2023-24 Curriculum Guide
- Race for the Schools: For more information or to register for the race visit: https://www.muscatine race for the schools.org/
- ACT Testing – April 4, 2023 VanHecke Center (Pre-registration was required.)
- MHS Prom – The Merrill Hotel, April 29, 2023 (7:30-10:30PM)
- MHS CAPE – MHS, April 29-30, 2023 (11:00PM – 2:30AM)
- 11th & 12th Grade Girls & Boys: FREE Prom Dresses & Dress Clothes at The Muskie Boutique! Please complete the form to set up an appointment during lunch or after school. Sizes available are from 0 to 24. If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Borde in the Main Office. Prom Attire Appointment Form (Prom is on April 29, 2023 at The Merrill Hotel.)
- Mississippi Bend Area Education Agency’s Driver Education Program: To register for upcoming Driver’s Ed sessions, please visit: mbaea.org/student-programs/driver-education
- The 2023 Abdelkader Global Citizenship Prize ESSAY CONTEST is now open! Students attending high school in the United States are invited to expand their global perspectives and compete for scholarship awards.
- Prizes include 1st Place $1,000; 2nd Place $750; 3rd Place $500, plus Honorable Mention prizes.
- From Missouri to Moscow to Mecca during the 1800s, Emir Abdelkader was an Arab Muslim hero from Algeria and admired around the globe. His life story brings lost history into focus along with wisdom and knowledge necessary to build strong bonds of cultural understanding and respect for Muslims and non-Muslims alike.
- For contest details including guidelines and procedures, visit https://abdelkaderproject.org/student-contests/abdelkader-student-prize/. Students will sign-up now then read-research-write the essay and submit it before or on April 1, 2023.
- Parents & Students – Updating Mailing Address & Contact Information: If you have moved or your parent phone number has changed since the beginning of school, please contact MHS to update your contact information.
- MHS Impactful Staff Nomination: Students, the Instructional Team at MHS wants to highlight some of the amazing things that are happening throughout our building, but we need your help. Please consider nominating a teacher (or multiple teachers) for the wonderful things they do inside and outside of the classroom. This can be related to specific lessons they have taught, their teaching style, their ability to build relationships, their involvement in extracurricular activities or anything else you feel is relevant and necessary. These types of shout outs are incredibly rewarding for teachers, so please make their day! Please complete this form if you would like to nominate a staff member!: Staff Nomination Form
- Food Services Info: The “Why the Sub Not?” Sub Sandwich line is now by the gym doors & the Passport & Lunchbox line will be where the sub line was. Thank you & we apologize for any inconvenience!
Just a reminder that you may order sub sandwiches & chef salads online using the link below. We do ask that you place your order by 9:30 am, each day. During your meal session, you may look for the pre-order sign near the front of the sub line, follow the arrows & tell the team member your last name. Students will be given their sandwich or salad on a tray so that they may select at least 1 fruit or vegetable from the black salad bar & go to the cashier. Sub Sandwich & Chef Salad Order Form
If you do not place your order by 9:30 am, we will still make subs or salads for you, but you will have to wait in line.
- MHS Yearbook Sales: $56 Deadline to order is May 1, 2023 Yearbook Order Information
- Student Lockers: All students will have a locker assigned to them. Students will need to log into Powerschool (not on the app), select Reports then 2022-23 Locker Report and it will give them their locker # and locker combination.
- 2022-23 Bell Schedules: 2022-23 MHS Bell Schedules
- Entrance Doors: Doors open at 7:45AM. Bus riders and students being dropped off, please enter through the Commons entrance. Students driving and parking in the Cedar Street Parking Lot, please enter through the “Muskie M” doors. Students driving and parking in the Bonnie Street Parking Lot, enter through the “Gymnasium / Swim Entrance #1” doors. If arriving after 8:15AM, please enter through the Main Entrance.
- MCSD 2022-23 Meal Program: USDA did not extend free meals to schools this year unless your Family qualifies by completing a meal application or through state programs through DHS. Please note that only one Iowa Eligibility Application for free or reduced meals needs to be completed per household, each school year. To apply electronically: please go to www.muscatine.k12.ia.us (hover over Department & Programs, click on Food & Nutrition & scroll down on the page) Full communication:
2022-23 MCSD Meal Program Letter
- Driver’s Ed: To register for upcoming Driver’s Ed sessions, please visit: mbaea.org/student-programs/driver-education
- Parents: SMS Text Opt In Feature for School Messenger: SMS_Text Opt-In Flyer/Instructions
- MHS Parents & Students: The Powerschool Mobile App is a great resource to have! Mobile App Instructions
- Google Classroom: All high school staff use Google Classroom to display assigned work. If your child is missing from school, they can always access their work via Google Classroom. As a parent/guardian, you can request your student’s teachers to add you to their assignment list so that you will have “View Only” access.
** 12th Grade Important Dates/Information **
- DUE MARCH 10 AT NOON! Scholarship Season:
- The local packet can be found on the website for the Community Foundation of Greater Muscatine at https://www.givinggreater.org/ . Our packet is the last packet listed on the dashboard page. If you have questions on how to complete the packet, please see Mrs. Hawkins. Due March 10th at Noon.
- For those of you considering MCC, I highly encourage you to complete their foundation packet as well. It can also be found on the Community Foundation’s website. It is the first packet listed. Due March 1st.
- If you are a student who has taken any courses during high school that received credit from MCC, be sure to complete the Connections scholarship application as well.
MCC Connections Scholarship Application Due March 1st.
- In addition to the scholarships mentioned below, be sure to check the list provided in the announcements once a week. This list is updated as we receive notification of outside scholarships.
- Graduation Cap & Gown: If you have not purchased your cap and gown. Please stop in to Student Services to see Mrs. Meeker or Mrs. Meineke.
- 11th & 12th Grade Girls: FREE Prom Dresses at The Muskie Boutique! Please complete the form to set up an appointment during lunch or after school. Sizes available are from 0 to 24. If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Borde in the Main Office. Prom Dress Appointment Form. (Prom is on April 29, 2023 at The Merrill Hotel.)
- 2022-23 Scholarships: 2022-23 Scholarships (Keep checking for newly added scholarships!)
- May 21: Graduation Day – 2PM MHS Stadium (unless inclement weather then MHS Gymnasium)
** Athletics/Activities Information **
- Boys’ and Girls’ Soccer Info: Boys’ & Girls’ Soccer Information
- Seniors – Signing Day 2023: At this time we are planning to do a ‘signing’ recognition for Muskies that are planning to participate in a college sport at any level. Please complete this form to let us know what you are planning. We want to make sure that we do not miss anyone. At this time, the tentative plan is for this recognition on May 10 during Muskie Time. Thank you in advance for completing this form. DEADLINE TO COMPLETE THIS FORM IS APRIL 30.
- Girls’ Soccer: Attention Muskies! If you are interested in playing girls soccer this spring and you have not signed up yet here is your chance. Come be part of something special as they try to qualify for the state tournament for the third year in a row! Contact Coach Edgar if you have any questions. Girls’ Soccer Sign-up
- Martial Arts: If you are interested in participating in Martial Arts, practice takes place Tuesday through Friday from 3:45-5:00PM in the Van Hecke Center. If you have any questions, please contact Jesse Valenzuela at firstname.lastname@example.org or talk with him in the halls of MHS!
- The Muscatine HS Dance Team – Muskie Poms will hold auditions for the 23-24 season on May 6. Clinic will be the Week of May 1-5. Please fill out the form if interested!
Audition Form Muskie Poms 23-24 (https://forms.gle/6kzB4ZHYHnrFSgLG9)
All information will be emailed to you after you fill out the form. Questions? Email: email@example.com
- Girls’ Tennis Sign-up: Students interested in participating in Girls’ Tennis for the Spring 2023 season, please sign up using this form: Girls’ Tennis Sign-up Form. If you have any questions, see Coach Kyle Kennedy in room 11-035 or Coach Mindy Stoltzfus in room 11-002.
- MHS CAPE Donation List: Here’s a new way to support CAPE (Carnival After Prom Extravaganza)! Purchase items off the CAPE gift list and they’ll be given away to students during CAPE on April 29th/30th. CAPE Amazon Donation List Info
Amazon Wish List: Amazon Wish List
- FFA Merchandise: If you missed the store for FFA Merchandise- it is now on the school Phelps Site: FFA Merchandise Link
- Visit MHS Official Activities Site for updates to schedules, rosters & directions.
- Follow @MuskieActivitie on Twitter for MHS activities & athletic updates and information.
- Athletic Punch Pass/Card for adults are $40 and can be purchased at the MHS Attendance Center or at the gate during events. This Punch Card allows you 10 admissions into all sporting events except regional & state competitions, most vocal, orchestra, and band events, and the fall drama production.
- Student Activity Passes are available for sale at the Attendance Center for $50. This pass allows you admission into all sporting events except regional & state competitions, most vocal, orchestra, and band events, and the fall drama production.
- Visit MHS Official Activities Site for updates to schedules, rosters & directions.
- Athletic Forms: Parent Permission Form Concussion Form Physical Form
** College, Trade, & Military Visits **
- Air Force Info: If you are interested in Air Force information, please contact TSgt Allison Bell, Air Force & Space Force Recruiter, Moline, IL. Phone: 319-350-8401
- United States Coast Guard – Information for Seniors: We currently have hiring bonuses up to $50,000 for interested individuals, which are detailed in the “Coast Guard Career Hiring Bonuses” attachment. I’ve also attached a Benefits Flyer that goes over what the Coast Guard does as a military branch, and benefits of military service. Please feel free to post this in your school alongside other military branch information for students to look over.
The United States Coast Guard offers both full time and part time service opportunities, and are primarily located within the United States. As a military branch, we conduct humanitarian missions, including response to natural disasters like hurricanes and oil spills, and our branch’s focus is centered around protecting our people and waterways. We operate under the Department of Homeland Security, making our main missions Search and Rescue, Law Enforcement, and Environment Protection. We have 19 different career fields, including Healthcare, HR, Law Enforcement, and Trade careers. If you have an interest for military service or are unsure of steps after graduation, or if you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via this email – Lauren.A.Shields@uscg.mil. Coast Guard Benefits Flyer Coast Guard Career Hiring Bonuses
** Forms **
- Transcripts: To request an official transcript from Muscatine High School, please use the link below to make your request. Official transcripts are sent directly from our MHS Registrar’s Office. Muscatine High School Transcript Request Link
- Silver Cord Form: Students recording hours of volunteer service during their years at MHS will be awarded a Silver Cord to wear at graduation. In order for volunteer hours to count towards a Silver Cord, STUDENTS must complete the online form to verify. Silver Cord Form
- ALL STUDENTS DRIVING TO SCHOOL: ALL students driving to school will need to complete a Vehicle Registration Form for a new MHS Parking Tag. This parking tag will be used until the Class of 2025 graduates. The form is available online Vehicle Registration Form, MHS Attendance or Student Services office. Completed forms should be returned to the Student Services office. Students with an MHS Parking Tag can park in the Bonnie Dr. or Cedar St. parking lots.
- DOT Minor School License Form: DOT Minor School License Form Forms are available in the MHS Main Office – Rm-11-001. (You must have completed Driver’s Ed in order to submit this form.) Instructions: Please complete Sections 1 and 3. (Leave Section 2 blank) and return to the Main Office.
- Parking Tags – Staff & Students: If you drive to school, you must display your MHS parking tag in your vehicle. If you do not have a tag, please go to Student Services for a form. Currently you are receiving a reminder, however in the future, you will be fined $5 and an orange sticker will be placed on your vehicle.
- Parking Tag Reminder: Reminder that students are to use the same parking tag from the previous year. It will be a $5 charge for all lost parking tags. If you have not received a parking tag or have not registered your vehicle, please fill out the “new vehicle registration form” located under the forms section of the announcements. Forms can be turned into Mrs. Meineke or Mrs. Meeker in the student services. Vehicle Registration Form.pdf
** Fundraisers **
- Muskie Store is Open! The district has partnered with Phelps Custom Apparel to offer our staff, families, and community Muskie Apparel! This online store does not close meaning that it remains open for all of your Muskie clothing needs throughout the year.
Go to: Phelps Muskie Store and check it out!
- Jostens Muskie School Store: Do you want Muskie Spirit Wear/Accessories or to give as a gift?
Visit Jostens Muskie School Store
** Job Opportunities **
- Part Time Employment at Geneva Country Club: Grounds Crew Members. Starting pay is $10 hr.
We offer flexible scheduling and free golf on Monday’s. We can work with students’ schedules. Students work outside. Job duties include: mowing, weed eating, raking bunkers, divot repair, landscaping flower beds, helping with golf course projects, golf tournament prep, and other duties as needed. If interested, please contact Chad Shafer at (608) 477-8686 Cell or (563)263-1350 Maintenance Facility, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Seasonal Job Opportunities – Louisa County Conservation – 4 summer and 1 6 months: Perfect for summer work for some juniors and/or graduating seniors. These are great positions that provide valuable on-the job skills for those interested in a career in natural resources and/or education!
- Natural Resource Aide – one 6 month position (timing is flexible), must be 18+ because of work with mowers and other machinery
- Conservation Aide – two spring/summer positions (timing is flexible), must be 18+ because of work with mowers and other machinery
- Summer Recreation Intern – two summer positions (Mid – June through 1st week of August), 16+, ***This job is an 8:30 am – 2 pm position that is PERFECT for students in summer sports. The Summer Recreation program happens from 9-noon every day so there is a lot of flexibility for those that want to work but need to get to practice in the afternoon.
Naturalist Intern – one summer position (Mid-End of May through early August) must be 18+ because of driving county vehicles
All job postings and application information can be found here: Louisa County Conservation Jobs
** Scholarships **
- Please visit Scholarships for a list of available scholarships. (newest scholarships are listed at the end of the document)
** Silver Cord Opportunities/Volunteer Opportunities **
- Volunteers are needed for the YMCA Kindergarten-3rd grade soccer season on Saturday mornings, April 15-May 13, 9:00-11:00AM. Other dates are available. Please contact Brandon for more information or questions – 563-263-9996 or email@example.com
- Volunteers are needed for the Jefferson Carnival on Friday, March 3 from 4:45-7:00PM. Volunteers will get pizza or nachos and a drink. If interested, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Musser Public Library Teen Advisory Committee. The Library is looking for involved teens to take part in a teen advisory committee. Teens participating in this community leadership program will share ideas for library events, planning programs, community engagement opportunities and open discussions about changing trends of Muscatine youth. Enhance your leadership skills by brainstorming your ideas as a team to benefit your community and the patrons of Musser Public Library. No commitment is required. Come to as many meetings as you would like or as many as your schedule allows. For more information contact Mr. Taylor at: email@example.com
Meetings will take place the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of each month. Starts February 15th, 2023 from 4:30-5:30PM in the Musser Public Library Maker Space.
- Silver Cord Program: Students recording hours of volunteer service during their years at MHS will be awarded a Silver Cord to wear at graduation. In order for volunteer hours to count towards a Silver Cord, students must complete the online form to verify. Silver Cord Form
Service qualifies for Silver Cord recognition if:
- The student is not paid for the service
The student does not receive credit for the service.
The service is not for the purpose of fundraising for a group/activity/team that the student participates in.
*140 hours are required for students in the Class of 2021, 2022 and 2023.
*160 hours are required for students graduating in the Class of 2024.
** Yearbook Information **
- MHS Yearbook Sales: $56 Deadline to order is May 1, 2023 Yearbook Order Information
- 2021-22 Yearbook Distribution Info: Students/families who purchased a Yearbook (The Auroran) from the 2021-22 school year, Yearbooks will be available for pick up at the Attendance Center. There are a limited number of 2021-22 yearbooks that can be purchased on a first-come, first serve basis for $56 at the Attendance Center.
- Did you or someone you know attend Muscatine High School during the 2012 through 2015 school years? If so, this is your chance to purchase a yearbook that reflects those school years and memories! Each yearbook is $20 until sold out. All proceeds go back into the Yearbook Club to purchase new equipment and expand the program for students. To purchase, call the Activities Office at Muscatine High School at (563) 263-6141 and ask for Mindy.
** Keep informed on what is going on at MHS! **
|Facebook:||MHS Facebook Page|
|Student Handbook:||MCSD Student Handbk|
|Curriculum Guide:||2022-23 Curriculum GuideMHS Announcements – March 2, 2023|