** Daily News & Information ** Home of the Muskies!
MHS Hours: 7:45AM-3:45PM Monday-Friday 2021-2022 MHS Bell Schedules
MHS Phone #: 563-263-6143
MHS phone system and menu. Please listen to the menu to select the proper department. For Spanish assistance please press 5.
- Press 1 – Attendance (or call directly at 563-263-6616)
- Press 2 – Student Services, Transcripts and Grade Level Counselors
- Press 3 – MHS Nurse
- Press 4 – Athletics
- Press 5 – Spanish Assistance
- For all other calls, please stay on the line or press 0 for assistance or to leave a voicemail.
Announcements in Green – New
Announcements in Blue – Previous Day
Announcements in Black – 2 Days or older by request
- 2022-23 Communication Guide: 2022-23 Curriculum Guide (Students will use this guide to assist them in selecting classes for next school year.)
- MHS Orchestra Concert will be held on Friday, Feb. 25 at 7PM in the MHS Auditorium.
- MHS Vocal Concert will be held on Monday, Feb. 28 at 7PM in the MHS Auditorium.
- MHS Winter Band Concert will be held on Friday, March 4 at 7PM in the MHS Auditorium.
- Employment Opportunity: Cove Equipment in Moscow, Columbus City, and Conroy is hiring Service Technicians, Ag Mechanics, and Small Engine Technicians. If interested, please contact Mr. Welsch in Student Services. Cove Equipment is Hiring!
- Vaping Communication: Vaping Communication
- MHS Activities for the Week of Feb. 21, 2022: Activities on Tap Week of Feb. 21
- CAPE Parent/Guardian Volunteers Needed & CAPE Donation Information: CAPE Volunteer & Donations Info
- Lost & Found: Lost an item? Water Bottle, jewelry, earbuds, phone? Check at the Attendance Center and see if it was turned in!
- Athletic/Activities Information Section: Spring Sport Sign-ups – Girls’ Golf, Soccer, Boys/Girls Tennis
- New! Class of 2022 Information – See Class of 2022 Information below
- Employment Opportunities: See Employment Opportunities Section below.
- New Scholarships Added! Scholarships: 2021-22 Scholarship List & Info
(These scholarships are not part of the Muscatine Community Foundation packet)
- Silver Cord Opportunities: See Silver Cord Section below for all opportunities!
- Counselors are in classrooms this week showing the course selection presentations. To schedule your appointment for course selection, please sign up by clicking on the link for your grade level counselor. (Your parents are welcome to attend your scheduling session with you!)
- Class of 2023 – Ms. Wolfe
Ms. Wolfe Course Selection Appointment Link
- Class of 2024 – Mr. Kulland
Mr. Kulland Course Selection Appointment Link
- Class of 2025 – Ms. Russell
Ms. Russell Course Selection Appointment Link
- Mrs. Hawkins – College and Career
MCC Enrollments April 4th-21st, 2022
Mrs. Hawkins MCC Registration Appointment Link
- Class of 2023 – Ms. Wolfe
- Muskie Minutes- Season 2 Episode 21: https://youtu.be/sjrYAqDKgFA
- FFA Weekly – Feb. 21-27: FFA Weekly
- Need a Tutor? If you are struggling in classes and are needing some help, please respond to this email by using the google form Please include your name, the class you are struggling in, and the teacher you have for that class. Tutoring can happen in Muskie Time. Before or after school. Fill out the google form to be entered for tutoring. https://forms.gle/dxR9XjTsuUKGjX6u9
- The Robotics Team will participate in the HNI challenge on Friday, Feb. 25 as part of Engineering week.
- Seniors: Scholarship deadlines are fast approaching and I am here to help!
1. If you have not yet filed your FAFSA, this needs to be done as soon as possible.
2. The MCC foundation packet is due on March 1st.
3. The Muscatine Community Foundation local packet is due on March 11th.
4. The financial aid priority deadlines for many institutions are coming fast.
Please schedule a time to see Mrs. Hawkins if you have any questions or need any assistance at all. Give yourself as many opportunities as possible!
- Vocal Dept. Dessert Concert will take place on Tuesday, March 22 in the Auditorium starting at 7PM. $5 Admission. No passes will be accepted.
- Girls’ Tennis Meeting; There will be a girls tennis meeting on Monday, February 28 at 3:45 at the Learning Stairs by the Commons for girls interested in playing tennis this spring. Information about the upcoming season, paperwork, and schedules will be distributed there. If you cannot make it or have any questions, contact Coach Kennedy or Coach Stoltzfus, room 11-035 or the AD Secretary Office. First practice will start Monday, March 21 at 3:45 at the MHS Tennis Courts.
- Race for the School Race Info – May 7, 2022: Race For the School Race Info
- Iowa Youth Institute 2022: Please plan to participate on Monday, April 25th for the 2022 Iowa Youth Institute held in partnership with Iowa State University! For every year of IYI participation, students will now receive a $1,000 scholarship redeemable for any of the majors outlined in the flyer on our web page! The scholarship maxes out at $4,000 so students are eligible to participate multiple years. Below are upcoming dates to help you prepare for next year’s event.
A limited number of spots are available for MHS Students. See Mr. Day Room 13-007 for more details. Iowa Challenge 2022 2022 Iowa Youth Institute Flyer
- Silver Cord Opportunity: Rebuild Together Muscatine County is looking for volunteers to assist in building wheelchair ramps for our community for those people who put in an application. We build these ramps in sections and all sections are pre-built in our shop. Today we have quite the backlog of ramps, and in such, we could use help on building ramp sections. No skill level is needed as we will take any student and certainly guide them through the process keeping safety as a top-priority. We will provide the tools, the materials, and the instructions. It would be ideal if we were to set this up 4 students at a time, and we are flexible on day/time availability. If you are interested or have any questions, please contact Alan Millage at email@example.com or call/text at 563-726-3433.
- Talent Show Auditions: The MHS Talent Show is back and will now be hosted by Key Club! If you are interested in participating, there are informational packets available at the Attendance Office. Auditions will be on Thursday, February 24th from 7:30-8:00am OR 3:30-4:15pm in the auditorium. The act must be school appropriate. The date of the actual Talent show will be Thursday, March 10th from 8:30-10:30am. If you have any questions please contact Mrs. Keltner (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ms. Rauenbuehler (email@example.com)
- Seniors: Jostens will be at school on Wednesday, March 23rd to deliver your graduation items (not your cap and gowns) during Lunch outside of student services. This will be the only day that Jostens will be here for distribution. If you have a balance due, please note that cash or money orders are the only forms of payment accepted. If you have any questions or would like to pay by credit card prior to delivery day, please call 1-800-JOSTENS (567-8367). If you haven’t already ordered your cap and gown, please stop by Student Services for further information and instructions.
- Driver’s Ed: To register for upcoming Driver’s Ed sessions, please visit: mbaea.org/student-programs/driver-education
- Sign Up for City League Softball! Sign up dates start Feb. 15th See flyer for details. Open to all girls ages 6 to 18 (must be 6 by 12/31/21 and no older than 18 on May 1, 2022). City League Softball Info
- Muscatine Singles and Doubles Tennis Table Tournament – March 5th at Muscatine Mall – Suite 79. Register by March 1. $10 Entry Fee. Table Tennis Tournament Info
Registration Forms available outside of the AD Office – Rm 11-005. Registration Form to be mailed to Scott Phelps, 2226 Hunter Rd, Muscatine.
- Upward Bound Program Information: UB Announcements
- Buy/Pre-Order YOUR 2021-2022 Yearbook – $56! (The Auroran 2021-2022): 2021-22 Yearbook Info Deadline to order is May 11, 2022.
- Middle School and High School Art Exhibit and Cash Prizes through Sister Cities: For complete details, visit: Middle School and High School Art Exhibit and Cash Prizes through Sister Cities
- Parents: SMS Text Opt In Feature for School Messenger: SMS_Text Opt-In Flyer/Instructions
- MHS Parents & Students: The Powerschool Mobile App is a great resource to have! Mobile App Instructions
- Lost & Found: Lost an item? Water Bottle, jewelry, earbuds, phone? Check at the Attendance Center and see if it was turned in!
- Google Classroom: All high school staff use Google Classroom to display assigned work. If your child is missing from school, they can always access their work via Google Classroom. As a parent/guardian, you can request your student’s teachers to add you to their assignment list so that you will have “View Only” access.
- Meal Viewer Link Students & Parents can look at the menus online for MHS. There is nutrient information as well as allergen information. There is also an app available for cell phones.
** Class of 2022 Information **
- Jostens will be at school on Wednesday, March 23rd to deliver your graduation items (not your cap and gowns) during Lunch outside of student services. This will be the only day that Jostens will be here for distribution. If you have a balance due, please note that cash or money orders are the only forms of payment accepted. If you have any questions or would like to pay by credit card prior to delivery day, please call 1-800-JOSTENS (567-8367). If you haven’t already ordered your cap and gown, please stop by Student Services for further information and instructions.
- Post-Graduation Survey in PowerSchool. This survey will take about a minute to complete and you are required to complete it in order to pick up your cap and gown. Please take a quick moment and complete this survey.
- Due Date March 11, 2022 by Noon! Seniors: The local scholarship packet is now open online and accessible to you. The link to the portal is included in the instructions. If you have questions as you finish up, please feel free to reach out to Mrs. Hawkins. Lots of great opportunities! 2022 Muscatine Community Foundation Local Scholarship Instructions
- Seniors: If you have not ordered a cap and gown for Graduation, please do so by February 18th. They can be ordered online at Jostens.com If you have any questions, please stop in Student Services and see Mrs. Meeker or Mrs. Meineke.
- Senior financial obligations will be posted outside of the Athletics and Activities Office by student number. These obligations include all outstanding financial obligations to date. Any unreturned supplies or equipment before the end of the year could result in a higher obligation. Senior obligations need to be paid at the Attendance Office prior to graduation in order for students to participate in the graduation ceremony. If the obligations are a burden to your family or if you have any questions, please contact Wendi Schmelzer at (563) 263-7223 ext. 1012 to discuss payment arrangements.
Note: You/your parent/guardian will need to login to PowerSchool>InTouchReceipting to locate your obligation balance. InTouch Receipting Instructions
- Graduation: May 22, 2022 @ 2PM in the MHS Stadium.
** Athletics/Activities Information **
- RESCHEDULED! Softball Player/Parent Meeting: Due to boy’s basketball being rescheduled to tomorrow night the softball parent/player meeting has been rescheduled. The meeting will now be Thursday, February 24 at 6pm in the high school Commons.
- Boys’ Track: Do you want to become a better athlete for your other sports? Do you like competing? Do you like to challenge yourself to achieve goals with hard work? If you answered yes to any of these questions, it is not too late to sign up and participate in boys track this spring. Please use this link to sign up: https://forms.gle/h7BnvMyHvLaqnBn38 If you have any questions, please contact Coach Rusch (firstname.lastname@example.org) or stop by his room (21-022).
- Boys’ Track: Boys’ track practice starts next week on Tuesday, February 22. We will meet in the competition gym or in the gym above the boys locker room. Practice starts at 3:40 PM. Please be on time. An up-to-date physical. concussion form, and parent permission for, ,ust be on file in the athletic’s office before you can practice. We will go outside if the weather is reasonable, so please bring warm clothing for practicing outdoors and indoors. If you have any questions, please contact Coach Rusch (email@example.com) or stop by his room (21-022).
- Girls’ Soccer: This is a reminder for all girls soccer players that if you are interested in playing this spring please sign up this week. Open gym this weekend will be Saturday 2/19 from 11am-12:30pm in the Chuck Van Hecke Center. There is less than one month before the first official practice. Please contact Coach Arceo if you have any questions. https://forms.gle/qtDP5462ygefoPfw8
- Girls’ Golf Sign-up: If you are interested in participating in Girls Golf this spring, please use the form below to sign up. Scott Schultz will be the Head Girls Golf coach this season. https://forms.gle/Gha5QcrKd28XhnaP7
- 2022 Girls Track Sign-up Form: If you would like to participate in MHS Girls Track this season, please use the link below to get signed up. It is very important to sign up in advance so that the coaches know you are coming out, and they can keep you informed.https://forms.gle/skjXrXnYrYEM6ke6A
Required paperwork to participate in Girls Track:
- A valid physical (Mrs. Stoltzfus can tell you if your physical is still valid if you don’t know)
- A signed Concussion form
- A signed Parent Permission form
- All forms are outside the AD office if you need them
- Girls’ Soccer Sign-up and Information: Anyone that is planning on going out for girls soccer this spring please use the form below to get signed up. https://forms.gle/qtDP5462ygefoPfw8
- Girls’ & Boys’ Tennis Sign-up: If you plan to go out for Boys or Girls Tennis this Spring, please use the form to sign up. https://forms.gle/jdDjyp9fRcJoKmPh8
- Athletic Punch Pass/Card for adults are $40 and can be purchased at the MHS Attendance Center or at the gate during events. This Punch Card allows you 10 admissions into all sporting events except regional & state competitions, most vocal, orchestra, and band events, and the fall drama production.
- Student Activity Passes are available for sale at the Attendance Center for $50. This pass allows you admission into all sporting events except regional & state competitions, most vocal, orchestra, and band events, and the fall drama production.
- Visit MHS Official Activities Site for updates to schedules, rosters & directions.
- Follow @MuskieAD on Twitter for MHS activities & athletic updates and information.
- Athletic Forms: Parent Permission Form Concussion Form Physical Form
** College/Military Visits **
- Iowa Central Community College will be visiting Thursday, February 24th at 8:45am in the Student Services office. If you would like to attend, please contact Mrs. Meineke or Mrs. Meeker in Student Services.
** Employment Opportunities **
- Apprenticeship Opportunity – Heat & Frost Insulators Apprenticeship Program:
We are seeking applicants to interview on March 15, 2022 to start an apprenticeship with the Heat & Frost Insulators Apprenticeship Program. Attached is a copy of our announcement sheet, wage sheet & application. We will be starting a new apprenticeship class in early April. If a High School student applies and is accepted we can accommodate a later start date to allow them to finish High School. The announcement sheet explains requirements and has contact info if anyone has questions. Please contact Mr. Welsch in Student Services at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested. Heat & Frost Insulators Apprenticeship Info & Application
- Part Time Work Opportunity for High School Students at HON and Allsteel.
HNI Furniture Operation – High School Program
Please email Mr. Welsch at email@example.com if interested.
- Lutheran Living Senior Campus is Hiring Culinary Aids: Must be 16 years old, flexible hours- usually 4-7 weekdays and weekends (not sure of the times) sign-on bonus and generous attendance bonus. Starts at around $12.00/hour, the attendance bonus is $3.00/hour for being on time and not calling off to work. Contact Angie Silva at 563-272-2115 if interested.
** Forms **
- School Locker Request (not PE): Student Locker Request Form
- Transcripts: To request an official transcript from Muscatine High School, please use the link below to make your request. Official transcripts are sent directly from our MHS Registrar’s Office. Muscatine High School Transcript Request Link
- Silver Cord Form: Students recording hours of volunteer service during their years at MHS will be awarded a Silver Cord to wear at graduation. In order for volunteer hours to count towards a Silver Cord, STUDENTS must complete the online form to verify. Silver Cord Form
- ALL STUDENTS DRIVING TO SCHOOL: ALL students driving to school will need to complete a Vehicle Registration Form for a new MHS Parking Tag. This parking tag will be used for until the Class of 2025 graduates. The form is available online Vehicle Registration Form, MHS Attendance or Student Services office. Completed forms should be returned to the Student Services office. Students with a new MHS Parking can park in the Bonnie Dr. or Cedar St. parking lots.
- DOT Minor School License Form: DOT Minor School License Form Forms are available in the MHS Main Office – Rm-11-001. (You must have completed Driver’s Ed in order to submit this form.) Instructions: Please complete Sections 1 and 3. (Leave Section 2 blank) and return to the Main Office.
** Fundraisers **
- Muskie Boys’ HOOPS T-Shirts: The Boys’ Basketball Team is selling short sleeved t-shirts (black) and long sleeved t-shirts (gray). Shirts are available in adult sizes S-XXXL and can be purchased in Student Services. Short sleeved are $12 and long sleeved are $15. Exact change is preferable. Stop in to Student Services or call 563-263-6141 Ext. 2 to get your t-shirt while supplies last. Muskie Boys’ Hoops T-shirts
- Muskie Store is Open! The district has partnered with Phelps Custom Apparel to offer our staff, families, and community Muskie Apparel! This online store does not close meaning that it remains open for all of your Muskie clothing needs throughout the year.
Go to: Phelps Muskie Store and check it out!
- Jostens Muskie School Store: Do you want Muskie Spirit Wear/Accessories or to give as a gift?
Visit Jostens Muskie School Store
** Scholarships **
- Please visit Scholarships for a list of available scholarships. (newest scholarships are listed at the end of the document)
** Silver Cord Opportunities/Volunteer Opportunities **
- Volunteers are wanted to tutor/mentor Ms. Nietfeldt’s 5th grade students at Mulberry Elementary in various types of class work. The times that work best for Ms. Nietfeldt are Monday through Friday from 10:15 – 11:15AM and 11:30 – 11:50AM. If interested, please email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lutheran Living is looking for volunteers. If interested or for more information, please contact Taylor Carey-Murdock at TCarey-Murdock@lutheran-living.org or at (563) 272-2124.
- Rebuild Together Muscatine County is looking for volunteers to assist in building wheelchair ramps for our community for those people who put in an application. We build these ramps in sections and all sections are pre-built in our shop. Today we have quite the backlog of ramps, and in such, we could use help on building ramp sections. No skill level is needed as we will take any student and certainly guide them through the process keeping safety as a top-priority. We will provide the tools, the materials, and the instructions. It would be ideal if we were to set this up 4 students at a time, and we are flexible on day/time availability. If you are interested or have any questions, please contact Alan Millage at email@example.com or call/text at 563-726-3433.
- Silver Cord Program: Students recording hours of volunteer service during their years at MHS will be awarded a Silver Cord to wear at graduation. In order for volunteer hours to count towards a Silver Cord, students must complete the online form to verify. Silver Cord Form
Service qualifies for Silver Cord recognition if:
- The student is not paid for the service
The student does not receive credit for the service.
The service is not for the purpose of fundraising for a group/activity/team that the student participates in.
*140 hours are required for students in the Class of 2021, 2022 and 2023.
*160 hours are required for students graduating in the Class of 2024.
** Yearbook Information **
- Pre-Order YOUR 2021-22 Yearbook – $56! (The Auroran 2021-2022): 2021-22 Yearbook Info
- Yearbooks: If you would like to purchase an MHS 2020-21 yearbook, cost is $56.
- Did you or someone you know attend Muscatine High School during the 2012 through 2015 school years? If so, this is your chance to purchase a yearbook that reflects those school years and memories! Each yearbook is $20 until sold out. All proceeds go back into the Yearbook Club to purchase new equipment and expand the program for students. To purchase, call the Activities Office at Muscatine High School at (563) 263-6141 and ask for Mindy.
** Keep informed on what is going on at MHS! **
|Facebook:||MHS Facebook Page|
|Student Handbook:||MCSD Student Handbk|
|Curriculum Guide:||2022-23 Curriculum Guide|